FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 424
A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.
As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mum taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger… he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn’t seem to mind.
Sometimes, Mum would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet.
(I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)
Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home – not from us, our friends or any visitors Our long time visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush. My Dad didn’t permit the liberal use of alcohol but the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.
I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked… And NEVER asked to leave.
More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents’ den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and
watch him draw his pictures.
We just call him ‘TV.’
(Note: This should be required reading for every household!)
The embarrassing thing is that in the course of time, he got a family and they are always hanging around at our home.
His wife? We call her ‘Computer.’ Their first child is “Cell Phone”. The
second, “IPod”. They even have a wonderful grandchild, a baby genius
fondly called ‘Blackberry’, or BB for short. She is more popular than her mom. Her new baby cousin is ” Ipad”. There are many other family members called android devices.
This engaging Stranger and his family have taken permanent residence in our house. They draw our hearts away from our family, teach our kids things we do not approve of, and when they are there, we have no time for productive stuff.
What can we do?
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 425
LAW OF LIFE*
When a newspaper reporter interviewed a farmer who grew award-winning maize each year he entered his maize in the provincial agricultural fair, it was revealed that *the farmer shared his seed maize with his neighbours*.
Perplexed, the reporter asked, *“How can you afford to share your best seed maize with your neighbours when they are entering their maize in competition with yours each year?”*
The farmer smiled knowingly and explained, “The wind picks up pollen from the ripening maize and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbours grow inferior maize, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my maize. *If I am to grow good maize, I must help my neighbours grow good maize.”*
So it is with our lives. Those who want to live meaningfully and well must help enrich the lives of others. For *the value of a life, is measured by the lives it touches*. And those who choose to be happy must help others find happiness, for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all. Call it power of collectivity. Call it a principle of success. Call it a law of life. The fact remains,
*“None of us truly wins, until we all win.”* In life, when you help the people around you to be good, you surely become the best. Always bear in mind that
*”Real happiness is found in helping others”.*
Have a fulfilled day.
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 426
SEVEN LEADERSHIP PRINCIPLES TO LEARN FROM AN EAGLE….*
*1.* *Eagles fly Alone and at High Altitudes.*
They don’t fly with sparrows, ravens, and other small birds.
*MEANING;* Stay away from narrow-minded people, those that bring you down. Eagle flies with Eagles. Keep good company.
*2.* *Eagles have an Accurate Vision.* They have the ability to focus on something as far as 5km away. No matter the obstacles, the eagle will not move his focus from the prey until he grabs it.
*MEANING;* Have a vision and remain focused no matter what the obstacles and you will succeed.
*3.* *Eagles do not Eat Dead things. They Feed only on Fresh Prey.*
*MEANING;* Do not rely on your past success, keep looking for new frontiers to conquer. Leave your past where it belongs, in the past.
*4.* *Eagles Love the Storm.*
When clouds gather, the eagle gets excited, the eagle uses the storms wind to lift itself higher. Once it finds the wind of the storm, the eagle uses the raging storm to lift itself above the clouds. This gives the eagle an opportunity to glide and rest its wings. In the meantime, all the other birds hide in the branches and leaves of the tree.
*MEANING;* Face your challenges head on knowing that these will make you emerge stronger and better than you were. We can use the storms of life to rise to greater heights. Achievers are not afraid to rise to greater heights. Achievers are not afraid of challenges, rather they relish them and use them profitably.
*5.* *When a Female Eagle Meets a Male Eagle* and they want to mate, she flies down to earth, picks a twig and flies back into the air with the male eagle in hot pursuit. Once she has reached a height high enough for her, she drops the twig and let it fall to the ground while she watches. The male eagle chases after the twig and catches it before it reached the ground, then bring it back to the female eagle. The female eagle grabs the twig and flies to a much higher altitude and drop the twig again for the male eagle to chase. This goes on for hours with the height increasing each time until the female eagle is assured that the male eagle has mastered the art of picking the twig which shows commitment. Then and only then will she allow him to mate with her.
*MEANING;* Whether in private life or business, one should test the commitment of the people intended for partnership.
*6.* *Eagles Prepare for Training;*
They remove the feathers and soft grass in the nest so that the young ones get uncomfortable in preparation for flying and eventually flies when it becomes unbearable to stay in the nest.
*MEANING;* *Leave your Comfort Zone, there is No Growth There.*
*7.* *When the Eagle Grows Old,*
His feathers becomes weak and cannot take him as fast and as high as it should. This makes him weak and could make him die. So he retires to a place far away in the mountains. While there, he plucks out the weak feathers on his body and breaks its beaks and claws against the rocks until he is completely bare; a very bloody and painful process. Then he stays in this hiding place until he has grown new feathers, new beaks and claws and then he comes out flying higher than before.
*MEANING;* We occasionally need to shed off old habit no matter how difficult, things that burden us or add no value to our lives should be let go.
*YES, NEVER GIVE UP,*
*BE AN EAGLE, NEVER EVER GIVE UP !!!*
*God’s grace on this journey we call LIFE….
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 427
Survival Guide for now till the end of Recession*
1. If you are an applicant take the next available offered job even if it is below your dream job.
2. Buy only items that are considered as necessities. Postpone all luxurious articles till later dates.
3. Forget about living a life to satisfy others’ expectation at the expense of your purse, income or convenience.
4. Avert taking unnecessary risk in your place of work or business that has the possibility of making you loose your job or major client.
5. Be committed to your profession, job or business more than ever before.
6. Re-evaluate your recurrent expenditure pattern like children school fees and effect necessary changes if found beyond your income line.
7. If you are blessed with many cars try and use those with less fuel consumption capacity. You may have to combine outings instead of members of the family taking different cars out for combinable outings.
8. Except you can afford it, resist all Aso Ebi or color of clothes made mandatory by a person inviting you to a ceremony. Nobody will prevent you from entering the venue even with odd dress.
9. Avert social functions that will tell terribly on your finances in terms of distance and the content of the Programme. Why not just send ‘envelope’ to the organizer instead.
10. Let those asking you for money know that things are no longer the same: stop pretending at your expense. Stop suffering in silence. When the chips are down you will be alone.
11. Notwithstanding any promise to the contrary, avoid lending money to anyone an amount which if you don’t receive on time will hurt your financial stability. Many friendly loans will be irrecoverable now as many expectation will be dashed.
12. If you are a tenant living in a rented palatial apartment with many rooms left unutilized, it is high time you get a smaller accommodation.
13. Where the house is yours and most of your children are adult leaving you and your spouse in a big apartment with less than half of the house being utilized, quickly consider modifying the house into smaller units with the possibility of earning rental income.
14. Plan only on funds at hand, avoid permutations based on promise made by others. In a time like this, the promisor may fail.
15. Where it is possible, talk things over on phone with people rather than putting your car on the road for physical meeting. In addition avoid endless fruitless banters on phone. Be conscious of the call card cost and data usage.
16. If you have a large retinue of hangers-on around you reduce the frequencies of meals.
17. Shut all lights that are not required in your house to minimize the energy bills.
18. Do more physical exercise to minimize constant requirement of drugs. Learn to trek short distances, it helps to improve your health and relive you of avoidable small expenses.
19. If the regular food in your house is becoming dearer look for alternative. For instance yam is a substitute for bread in the morning
20. If you will bear heavy responsibility in an event, insist on moderate programme in line with the amount you could afford, you could save some finances.
Please share to friends and family.
We shall surely overcome this recession period by God’s grace
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 428
SEE THE LIST OF PHONES THAT WILL NOT SUPPORT WHATSAPP BY 31ST DECEMBER 2016
The affected mobile devices include;
All Blackberry phones including blackberry10 devices
All Symbian Phones Includes;
Nokia 500, Nokia E6, Nokia 5228, Nokia 5230, Nokia E63, Nokia 5233, Nokia E66, Nokia 5235, Nokia 5250, Nokia E7, Nokia 5320, Nokia E71, Nokia 5530, Nokia E72, Nokia 5630, Nokia E73, Nokia 5700, Nokia E75, Nokia 5730, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia 5800, Nokia N76, Nokia 600, Nokia N78, Nokia 603, Nokia N79, Nokia 6110, Nokia N8, Nokia 6120, Nokia N81, Nokia 6121, Nokia N81 8 GB, Nokia 6124,Nokia N82,Nokia 6210,Nokia N85, Nokia 6220, Nokia N86 8 MP, Nokia 6290, Nokia N95, Nokia 6650 Fold, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia 6700, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia N96, Nokia 6720, Nokia N97, Nokia 6730, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia X5-01, Nokia 6790 Surge, Nokia X6, Nokia 700, Nokia X7, Nokia 701, Samsung GT-i8510, Nokia 808 PureView, Samsung GT-l7110, Nokia C5, Samsung i8910 Omnia HD, Nokia C5-03, Samsung SGH-G810, Nokia C6, Samsung SGH-iNNN, Nokia C7, Samsung SGH-L870, Nokia E5, Sony Ericsson Satio, Nokia E51, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Nokia E52, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro and Nokia E55
All Nokia S40 Phones Includes; Nokia Asha 201, Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 302, okia Asha 303, Nokia Asha 306, Nokia Asha 311,Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-00, Nokia X2-01 and Nokia X3-02
Window phones 7.1
iPhone 3GS/iOS 6
Andriod 2.1 and Andriod 2.2
The company added through its blog post that despite it was a tough decision for them to make, but still the right one in order to provide better service and better ways to keep in touch with your family, friends and loved ones using Whatsapp. Therefore if your phone falls within the stated range, you are advised to either upgrade to the newer version of Andriod, iPhone, Window or get a newer ones before the due date.
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 429
Small historical recall of hyper-inflations in Nigeria
It’s a fact that in the past few months Nigeria has experienced hyper-inflation. Goods prices have increased and increased and hit the roof-tops. Even Gala, Indomie , Bread, soap, common household and food items et al have increased prices. Gala is more that #50. Can u ever imagine that? Things have either had prices increased or quantities and sizes reduced, or even qualities reduced, or a combination of all the above. Drinks have been subtly diluted. Don’t let me mention names. Plate of food prices have increased over 50%. They have doubled in some cases.
In all my whole life, I rate this as the 3rd highest inflation I’ve ever experienced in life. I rate the hyper inflation that followed the few months of crisis after the June 12 election higher than this. And that was a period of internal crises, fuel scarcty, uncertainty, strikes and civil strive.
In times of peace, this is the 2nd highest. I rate it a little bit lower, almost at par with hyper-inflation of 1987/88/89 induced by IBB’s SAP programme. It was also very bad in those days and it affected the common man. The Shagari regime induced inflation in 1983 too was very very bad. Though not as bad as this one or evil IBB’s SAP, but it was near that.
If you are an indomie generation baby boomer born in the 21st century or 90s or 80s, you won’t understand this. It’s those of us either born in the 70s or older , that will understand this. But I’m confident as we overcame others, we shall soon overcome this Recession also.
Pls, do I have witnesses in the house? Whom to blame for all these: Government of course: Past and Present governments have their share of blames but this article isn’t to trade blames because Nigerians also share part of these blames. Do I have witnesses in the house?
FREEDAY FREE FOOD FOR FRIENDS’ FREAKING FREETHINKING Vol 430
LETTER TO PARENTS
HABITS THAT SHOW IMPROPER UPBRINGING IN CHILDREN
Please, carefully look into the list below to see where you may want to make amends on yourself or the young ones you are caring for.
Children, if not properly groomed may never get to the top in life, even if the parents are at the top of their career.
Manners take you to where your education can’t irrespective of your status, money or the “who you know” factor.
1) Going to your child’s school dressed indecently? Think again.
2) Speaking rashly to your child’s teacher.
3) Cursing, using foul words or swearing in front of your children.
4) Using makeup on children.
5) Dressing indecently for children (they loose the sense of their princesshood).
6) Putting earrings on your son’s ears.
7) Your child hold the cup or glassware by the brim and you don’t correct.
8) Your children don’t greet and you just feel they will come around one day because they have a mood swing. ( You will be blamed for it)
9) Your children eat with their mouth opened and you feel they will grow up some day.
10) Your children bring home something you did not buy for them and you say nothing. ( that is the beginning of stealing)
11) They talk back at you and you conclude it’s okay since you are a 21st century mummy. ( You will hate yourself if they do that outside and they are disciplined )
12) They interrupt when you are speaking with another adult and you think they are bold and clever. (Its really bad manners)
13) They exercise authority over their nanny and domestic staff and you let them be. ( that is bad parenting)
14) They say things like “my driver is on his way…”
I am not an advocate that children should call your domestic staff by name when they are not young people. The use of Miss, Mr or Mrs, Uncle, Aunty, Baba …. or Mama….. (if they have children ) will look good on them.
15) Your children don’t say- ‘Thank you’ when they have been helped or served something and you are cool with that. (Bad parenting)
16) When your children cannot stand children who are less privileged.
17) When they pick their nose with their hands.
18) When they don’t wash their hands after visiting the washroom.
19) When your children take something from the fridge without taking permission. (Bad parenting)
20) When your children don’t knock on closed doors.
21) When your children don’t collect from your hands the stuff you brought in as you walk in through the door.
22) When your children request for a bribe to carry out their home chores or extra task. (That is disgraceful )
23) When your children act like their grand parents irritate them.
24) When your children have not learnt to get up from the chair for the elderly or visitors to sit.
25) When your child tells a lot of lies. (You will both cry in the future)
26) When your child asks “who is that?” at a knock on your door instead of “please, who is there.”
27) When your child is always seated by your visitors when being served drinks etc.
28) When your children still point their fingers at other
29) When your children play and jump around when prayers are going on.(age 4 above).
30) Don’t be a 21st Century parent who cannot correct a child. Train your child in the way of the Lord so that when he grows up he will not depart frm it.
IT IS BETTER TO LET YOUR CHILDREN CRY AT AN EARLY AGE WHEN YOU CORRECT THEM, IF NOT YOU WILL BOTH CRY AT NIGHT WHEN THEY BRING DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY WITH BAD AND TERRIBLE BEHAVIOUR.